MyKey allows you to program keys with restricted driving modes to promote good driving habits. You can program the restrictions to all keys except one. Any keys that you did not program are administrator keys or admin keys.
You can use admin keys to:
- Create a MyKey with certain vehicle restrictions.
- Program certain MyKey settings.
- Clear all MyKey restrictions.
After you program a MyKey, you can view the following information through the information display:
- The total number of admin keys and MyKeys for your vehicle.
- The total distance a MyKey driver traveled with your vehicle.
Every MyKey receives the same restrictions and settings.You cannot program them individually.
For vehicles equipped with a push-button start switch: When both a MyKey and an admin key are present when you start your vehicle, the system recognizes the admin key only.
Not every vehicle includes the features listed below. If your vehicle has this equipment, then you cannot change the following settings when using a MyKey:
- Seatbelt reminder or Belt-Minder™. MyKey mutes the audio system until drivers, and in some instances, passengers, fasten their seatbelts. Note: If your vehicle includes an AM/FM radio or a very basic audio system, then the radio may not mute.
- Earlier low-fuel warning. The low-fuel warning activates earlier for MyKey drivers, giving them more time to refuel.
- Certain driver alerts, stability systems or parking aids turn on automatically when you use the MyKey system. For example, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS), cross traffic alert, lane departure warning or forward collision warning. Note: MyKey drivers may be able to turn the lane departure warning feature off, but this feature turns back on automatically with every new key cycle.
- Restricted touchscreen operation in some markets. For example, MyKey may prevent manual navigation destination input while the vehicle is in any gear other than park (P) or when the vehicle reaches a certain rate of speed.
- Satellite radio adult content restrictions, if this feature is available in your market.
You can configure certain vehicle feature settings when you first create a MyKey. You can also change the settings afterward with an admin key.
Not every feature applies to every vehicle in every market. When they are available for your vehicle, then they appear in your information display, providing choices to switch them on or off, or to select a more specific setting.
- Various vehicle speed limits so the MyKey driver cannot exceed certain speeds. The information display shows warnings followed by an audible tone when the MyKey driver reaches the set speed. You cannot override the set speed by fully depressing the accelerator pedal.
Do not set MyKey maximum speed limit to a limit that will prevent the driver from maintaining a safe speed considering posted speed limits and prevailing road conditions. The driver is always responsible to drive in accordance with local laws and prevailing conditions. Failure to do so could result in accident or injury.|
- Various vehicle speed reminders so MyKey drivers know when their vehicle speed approaches the limits. Warnings appear in your information display and a tone sounds when the MyKey drivers exceed the set vehicle speed.
- The audio system's maximum volume limits to 45% so MyKey drivers can concentrate on the road. A message appears in the information display when MyKey drivers attempt to exceed the limited volume. MyKey also disables the automatic volume control. Note: If your vehicle includes an AM/FM radio or a very basic audio system, then the radio may not limit.
- Always on setting. This setting forces certain features to remain on and active for MyKey drivers. For example, E911 or emergency assistance and the do not disturb features stay on even if a MyKey driver uses the feature's control to switch it off. When selected, you will not be able to turn off Advance Trac or traction control (if your vehicle has this feature).