When loading the roof racks, we recommend you evenly distribute the load, as well as maintain a low center of gravity. Loaded vehicles, with higher centers of gravity, may handle differently than unloaded vehicles. Take extra precautions, such as slower speeds and increased stopping distance, when driving a heavily loaded vehicle.|
The maximum recommended load, evenly distributed on the crossbars, is:
- 100 lb (45 kg) for vehicles without a moonroof.
- 45 lb (20 kg) for vehicles with a moonroof.
For correct roof rack system function, you must place loads directly on crossbars affixed to the roof rack side rails. When using the roof rack system, we recommend you use Ford Genuine Accessory crossbars designed specifically for your vehicle.
Make sure that you securely fasten the load. Check the tightness of the load before driving and at each fuel stop.
A thumbwheel kit is included in your vehicle for tying light loads to your roof. The kit is located in the glovebox.
Make sure to check that the thumbwheels are tight each time you add or remove load from the roof rack, and periodically while traveling. Make sure that the load is secure before traveling.
There may be snap caps in the side rail, which must be removed before installing the thumbwheels. These caps can be removed by using a T25 torx tool or a similar tool.
Adjusting the Crossbar
For less wind noise and better aerodynamics, only install the crossbars when you need them for carrying cargo. Follow the steps to reposition or remove the rear crossbar. You can remove the front crossbar fasteners by unscrewing the assembly.
- Remove the crossbar bolts at both sides of the front crossbar by using a T25 torx tool or a similar tool.
- Remove the crossbar by sliding the ends off of the side rails.
- Move the crossbar to the new side rail position and slide onto rail.
- Replace and tighten the bolts at both sides of the crossbar by using a T25 torx tool or a similar tool.
There may be snap caps in the new side rail position, which must be removed before installing the crossbar. You can remove these caps by using a T25 torx tool or a similar tool.