The system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically stopping and restarting the engine when your vehicle has stopped. The engine restarts automatically when you release the brake pedal.
In some situations, your vehicle may restart automatically, for example:
- To maintain interior comfort.
- To recharge the battery.
Power assist steering turns off when the engine is off.
If your vehicle is flex fuel capable, Auto-Start-Stop will be inhibited for a short time after a refuel event while the system is verifying the fuel type being used.
Always fully apply the parking brake. Make sure you shift into park (P) for vehicles with an automatic transmission. Switch the ignition off and remove the key whenever you leave your vehicle.|
Before opening the hood or performing any maintenance, fully apply the parking brake, shift into park (P) or neutral (N) and switch the ignition off.
Always switch the ignition off before leaving the vehicle. If the ignition is switched on an automatic restart may occur at any time.
The system may require the engine to automatically restart when the auto-start-stop indicator illuminates green or flashes amber. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
The Auto-Start-Stop system status is available at a glance within the information display. See
The system automatically enables every time you start your vehicle if:
- You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (not illuminated).
- Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of
3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
- You have stopped your vehicle.
- Your foot is on the brake pedal.
- The driver door is closed.
- There is adequate brake vacuum.
- The interior compartment has cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
- The front windshield defroster is off.
- You have not turned the steering wheel rapidly or you do not have it at a sharp angle.
- The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
- The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
- The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
- Elevation is below about
11000 ft (3,350 m).
- Ambient temperature is moderate.
- The trailer is not connected.
- If you select Normal, Eco, Snow/Wet or Grass/Gravel/Snow modes.
- You are not in 4H or 4L.
- You have not selected Manual shift mode.
- Hill descent control is not active.
- You have not selected Tow haul, Sport, Sand or Mud/Rut modes.
Note when in Sport mode it can be enabled by pressing the Auto-Start-Stop button.
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.||
If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the above noted conditions not being met.|
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- You have removed your foot from the brake pedal.
- You press the accelerator pedal.
- You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
- The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
- Your vehicle is moving.
- The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
- Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
- The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
- You have exceeded the maximum engine off time.
- When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button with the engine automatically stopped.
- The front defroster is turned to the Max setting.
- When you shift into park (P), the engine will restart.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- You have increased the blower fan speed or changed the climate control temperature.
- You have an electrical accessory turned on or plugged in.
You may notice that the climate seat fan fluctuates during an automatic restart.
Press the Auto-Start-Stop button on the center console to switch the system off. The button will illuminate. Deactivating using the button lasts only 1 key cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.
If the Shift to park (P), Restart Engine message appears and the amber Auto-Start-Stop indicator light flashes, this indicates automatic restart is unavailable. You must restart the vehicle manually. See
If your vehicle is in an engine off Auto-Start-Stop, shifting from drive (D) to reverse (R) will not cause a restart if you do not press the brake pedal. The message Auto-Start-Stop Press Brake to Start Engine appears. You must press the brake pedal within 60 seconds or the system requires you to shift into park (P) and manually restart your vehicle.