The following helps to improve fuel consumption:
- Regularly check your tire pressures and make sure that they are inflated to the correct pressure. See
- Follow the recommended maintenance schedule and carry out the recommended checks.
- Plan your journey and check the traffic before you set off.
- Avoid idling the engine in cold weather or for extended periods. Start the engine only when you are ready to set off.
- Do not carry unnecessary weight in your vehicle as extra weight wastes fuel.
- Do not add unnecessary accessories to the exterior of your vehicle, for example running boards. If you use a roof rack, remember to fold it down or remove it when not in use.
- Drive smoothly, accelerate gently and anticipate the road ahead to avoid heavy braking.
- Switch off all electric systems when not in use, for example air conditioning. Make sure that you unplug any accessories from the auxiliary power points when not in use.