Engines are more efficient when they are clean because grease and dirt buildup keep the engine warmer than normal.
- Take care when using a power washer to clean the engine. The high-pressure fluid could penetrate the sealed parts and cause damage.
- Do not spray a hot engine with cold water to avoid cracking the engine block or other engine components.
- Spray Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser on all parts that require cleaning and pressure rinse clean. In Canada, use Motorcraft Engine Shampoo.
If your vehicle has an engine cover remove the cover before application of Motorcraft Engine Shampoo and Degreaser. Immediately rinse away any over spray.
- Never wash or rinse the engine while it is hot or running; water in the running engine may cause internal damage.
- Never wash or rinse any ignition coil, spark plug wire or spark plug well, or the area in and around these locations.
- Cover the battery, power distribution box, and air filter assembly to prevent water damage when cleaning the engine.