Always fully apply the parking brake and make sure you shift into park (P). Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.
Apply the parking brake, shift into park (P), switch the ignition off and remove the key before you open the hood or have any service or repair work completed. If you do not switch the ignition off, the engine could restart at any time. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.
The system may require the engine to automatically restart when the auto-start-stop indicator illuminates green or flashes amber. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
The system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically shutting off and restarting the engine while your vehicle is stopped. The engine will restart automatically when you release the brake pedal. In some situations, your vehicle may restart automatically, for example:
- To maintain interior comfort
- To recharge the battery
Power assist steering is turned off when the engine is off.
The Auto-Start-Stop system status is available at a glance within the information display. See
The system is automatically enabled every time you start your vehicle if the following conditions are met:
- The Auto-Start-Stop button is not pressed (not illuminated).
- Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of
3 mph (5 km/h) after the vehicle has been initially started.
- Your vehicle is stopped.
- Your foot is on the brake pedal.
- The transmission is in drive (D).
- The driver's door is closed.
- There is adequate brake vacuum.
- The interior compartment has been cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
- The front windshield defroster is off.
- The steering wheel is not turned rapidly or is not at a sharp angle.
- The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
- The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
- The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
- The Vehicle is not at a high altitude.
- Ambient temperature is moderate.
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster will illuminate to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.
If the instrument cluster is equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it is illuminated when automatic engine stop is not available due to one of the above noted conditions not being met.
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- Your foot is removed from the brake pedal.
- You press the accelerator pedal.
- You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
- The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
- Your vehicle is moving.
- The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
- Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
- The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
- The maximum engine off time is exceeded.
- When you press the Auto-Start-Stop button while the engine is stopped automatically.
- The heated windshield is turned on.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- The blower fan speed is increased or the climate control temperature is changed.
- An electrical accessory is turned on or plugged in.
Press the button on the instrument panel to access the Auto-Start-Stop feature on the touchscreen. Use the touchscreen to deactivate the feature. Deactivating the feature lasts only 1 key cycle. Use the touchscreen to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.