The system helps reduce fuel consumption by automatically stopping and restarting the engine when your vehicle has stopped. The engine restarts automatically when you release the brake pedal.
In some situations, your vehicle may restart automatically, for example:
- To maintain interior comfort.
- To recharge the battery.
Power assist steering is turned off when the engine is off.
Apply the parking brake, shift into park (P), switch the ignition off and remove the key before you leave your vehicle. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.|
Apply the parking brake, shift into park (P), switch the ignition off and remove the key before you open the hood or have any service or repair work completed. If you do not switch the ignition off, the engine could restart at any time. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury or death.
The system may require the engine to automatically restart when the auto-start-stop indicator illuminates green or flashes amber. Failure to follow this instruction could result in personal injury.
The Auto-Start-Stop system status is available at a glance within the information display. See
The system automatically enables every time you start your vehicle if:
- You do not press the Auto-Start-Stop button (button is not illuminated).
- Your vehicle exceeds an initial speed of
3 mph (5 km/h) after you have initially started your vehicle.
- Your vehicle is stopped.
- Your foot is on the brake pedal.
- The transmission is in drive (D).
- The driver door is closed.
- There is adequate brake vacuum.
- The interior compartment has been cooled or warmed to an acceptable level.
- The front windshield defroster is off.
- The steering wheel is not turned rapidly or is not at a sharp angle.
- The vehicle is not on a steep road grade.
- The battery is within optimal operating conditions (battery state of charge and temperature in range).
- The engine coolant is at operating temperature.
- Elevation is below approximately
11810 ft (3,600 m).
- Ambient temperature is moderate.
The green Auto-Start-Stop indicator light on the instrument cluster illuminates to indicate when the automatic engine stop occurs.||
If you have an instrument cluster equipped with a grey Auto-Start-Stop indicator light, it illuminates when automatic engine stop is not available due to not meeting one of the above noted conditions.|
Automatic Engine Restart
Any of the following conditions will result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- Your foot is removed from the brake pedal.
- You press the accelerator pedal.
- You press the accelerator and the brake pedal at the same time.
- The driver safety belt becomes unfastened or the driver door is ajar.
- Your vehicle is moving.
- The interior compartment does not meet customer comfort when air conditioning or heat is on.
- Fogging of the windows could occur and the air conditioning is on.
- The battery is not within optimal operating conditions.
- The maximum engine off time is exceeded.
- The engine has stopped automatically and you press the Auto-Start-Stop button.
Any of the following conditions may result in an automatic restart of the engine:
- The blower fan speed is increased or the climate control temperature is changed.
- An electrical accessory is turned on or plugged in.
Press the Auto-Start-Stop button on the center console to switch the system off. The button will illuminate. The system will only be deactivated for the current ignition cycle. Press the button again to restore Auto-Start-Stop function.
If your vehicle is in an Auto-Start-Stop state and you shift the transmission to reverse without depressing the brake pedal, a message telling you to press the brake appears. You must press the brake pedal within 60 seconds, or the system requires a shift to park and a manual restart.
If the Shift to P, Restart Engine message appears and the amber Auto-Start-Stop indicator light is flashing, automatic restart is not available. The vehicle must be restarted manually. See