Modifying or adding equipment to the front end of the vehicle (including frame, bumper, front end body structure and tow hooks) may affect the performance of the airbag system, increasing the risk of injury. Do not modify the front end of the vehicle.|
Your vehicle has a collection of crash and occupant sensors which provide information to the restraints control module. The restraints control module deploys (activates) the front safety belt pretensioners, driver airbag, passenger airbag, knee airbag(s), seat mounted side airbags, side curtain airbags and optional rear inflatable safety belts. Based on the type of crash (frontal impact or side impact), the restraints control module will deploy the appropriate safety devices.
The restraints control module also monitors the readiness of the above safety devices plus the crash and occupant sensors. The readiness of the safety system is indicated by a warning indicator light in the instrument cluster or by a backup tone if the warning light is not working. Routine maintenance of the airbag is not required.
A difficulty with the system is indicated by one or more of the following:
The readiness light will not illuminate immediately after the ignition is turned on.
- The readiness light will either flash or stay lit.
- A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat periodically until the problem, the light or both are repaired.
If any of these things happen, even intermittently, have the supplemental restraint system serviced at an authorized dealer immediately. Unless serviced, the system may not function properly in the event of a crash.
The safety belt pretensioners and the front airbag supplemental restraint system are designed to activate when the vehicle sustains frontal deceleration sufficient to cause the restraints control module to deploy a safety device.
The fact that the safety belt pretensioners or front airbags did not activate for both front seat occupants in a crash does not mean that something is wrong with the system. Rather, it means the restraints control module determined the accident conditions (crash severity, belt usage) were not appropriate to activate these safety devices.
- The design of the front airbags is to activate only in frontal and near-frontal crashes (not rollovers, side impacts or rear impacts) unless the crash causes sufficient frontal deceleration.
- The safety belt pretensioners and optional rear inflatable safety belts are designed to activate in frontal, near-frontal and side crashes.
- The knee airbag(s) may deploy based on crash severity and occupant conditions.
- The design of the side airbags and side curtain airbags is to inflate in certain side impact crashes. Side airbags and side curtain airbags may activate in other types of crashes if the vehicle experiences sufficient sideways motion or deformation.