Using the Clutch
Failure to fully press the clutch pedal to the floor may cause increased shift efforts, prematurely wear transmission components or damage the transmission.
Do not drive with your foot resting on the clutch pedal or use the clutch pedal to hold your vehicle at a standstill while waiting on a hill. These actions will reduce the life of the clutch and could nullify a clutch warranty claim.
Manual transmission vehicles have a starter interlock that prevents cranking the engine unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.
To start your vehicle:
- Make sure the parking brake is fully set.
- Press the clutch pedal to the floor, then put the gearshift lever in the neutral position.
- Start the engine.
- Press the brake pedal and move the gearshift lever to the desired gear; first (1) or reverse (R).
- Release the parking brake, then slowly release the clutch pedal while slowly pressing on the accelerator.
During each shift, the clutch pedal must be fully pressed to the floor. Make sure the floor mat is properly positioned so it doesn't interfere with the full extension of the clutch pedal.
Recommended Shift Speeds
Do not downshift into first (1) when your vehicle is moving faster than
15 mph (24 km/h). This will damage the clutch.
|Recommended upshifts (for best fuel economy) when accelerating
|1 - 2
||15 mph (24 km/h)
|2 - 3
||26 mph (42 km/h)
|3 - 4
||38 mph (61 km/h)
|4 - 5
||42 mph (67 km/h)
|5 - 6
||50 mph (80 km/h)
Make sure that your vehicle is at a complete stop before you shift into reverse (R). Failure to do so may damage the transmission.
- Press the clutch pedal to the floor to disengage clutch.
- Move the gearshift lever into the neutral position.
- Shift into reverse (R) by raising the collar below the gearshift knob up, then moving the lever fully to the left, then forward.
The gearshift lever can only be moved to reverse (R) by raising the collar below the gearshift knob up before shifting to reverse. This is a lockout feature which protects the transmission from accidentally engaging reverse (R) when intending to select first (1).
If reverse (R) is not fully engaged, press the clutch pedal down and return the gearshift to the neutral position. Release the clutch pedal for a moment, then raise the collar and shift to reverse (R) again.
Parking Your Vehicle
Always set the parking brake fully and make sure you shift the gearshift lever to first gear. Switch the ignition off and remove the key whenever you leave your vehicle.|
To park your vehicle:
- Press the brake pedal and shift the gearshift lever to the neutral position.
- Fully apply the parking brake and switch the ignition off.
- Hold the clutch pedal down and shift the gearshift lever to first gear.